- More than 1 in 5 families with children under 5 living in St. Louis City have incomes at or below the federal poverty line; nearly 10% live in deep poverty, with incomes below 50% of the federal poverty line (less than $10K annually for a family of 3)
- In the metro area, poverty levels for families are far lower - Jefferson County: 8.8%; St. Louis County: 8.6%; St. Charles County: 6.6%; Missouri: 9.8%
- Paying retail, it costs $1,000 to diaper one child for a year, which is up to 15% of the take-home income of a parent earning minimum wage
- National data demonstrates that 1 in 3 families across the county experience diaper need, however the need is greater in communities where poverty is prevalent
- No public benefit programs allow for the purchase of diapers
Why Do We Do What We Do?
Our Mission: The St. Louis Area Diaper Bank exists to help strengthen low-income families in the St. Louis region by ensuring access to an adequate supply of diapers, and by raising awareness about the causes and consequences of diaper need in our community. Learn more
- 64% of moms who get Diaper Bank diapers report leaving their child in soiled diapers longer than they want in order to make a small diaper supply last longer
- Some parents without enough diapers report limiting their child's liquid intake to make diapers last longer
- Moms who don't have enough diapers are 3X more likely than their peers to suffer from depression and anxiety
- Children left in soiled diapers are uncomfortable and irritable. Fussy babies are at an increased risk of child abuse.
- Children's brains start building the foundations for attachment, trust, and emotional maturity the moment of birth, and the brain of a child whose needs are consistently left unmet can be left with permanent scars from that toxic stress.
2018 Is the Year of the Millionth and One Million Diapers!
In February 2018 the Diaper Bank distributed its ONE MILLIONTH DIAPER!
In 2018 our annual distribution will EXCEED ONE MILLION DIAPERS!
- 30,000: The number of children who will receive diapers from the Diaper Bank in 2018
- 20,000: The number of children who have received diapers since the Diaper Bank's founding in 2014
- 92%: A dollar donated to the Diaper Bank can provide 92% more diapers than a dollar spent on diapers at the store
We have come a long way, but to continue helping families in our region we need your support! Your donation of just $12 can provide a child a month's worth of diapers.